Tuesday, July 23, 2024

Purslane cucumber avocado yogurt gazpacho


As mentioned in my last post, my husband and I have a semi-wild, semi-cultivated space in our front yard that is covered in edible plants, both planted and wild. 

One of these plants that basically edges the entire length of the space is a favorite of mine--purslane! 

Purslane is one of the most nutritious wild plants that one can forage. It's a succulent native to North Africa and the Mediterranean, but has become either naturalized or invasive (depending on whom you talk to) in the southern United States. 

Purslane forms dense mats, becoming a succulent groundcover


Purslane has one of the highest concentrations of magnesium you can find in a plant, higher than spinach. It also has high levels of various anti-oxidants, calcium, sodium and Omega 3 fatty acids. It's actually one of the only terrestrial plants that has Eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) fatty acid, most commonly found from animal sources. Generally vegan supplements use algae to provide this nutrient. However, purslane doesn't have enough of it to support your body's need all alone. It's just a fun fact!

Purslane also has high concentrations of oxalic acid, and so it shouldn't be eaten by those with liver or kidney disorders. 

I have a post all about purslane, including how to identify it, click here.

Personal story time

One of our many thriving basil plants 
Last Friday I had to undergo a total thyroidectomy. I am in recovery and doing extremely well. For example, I was given 7 days of double-dose  painkillers (omg!) but only ever took one pill at a time, and then only for 2 days. 

I've had to sponge bath since Friday though, and I am desperately looking forward to my first shower since the surgery. By the time this posts I expect I will finally have had one, I can shower again on Wednesday. My hair is a greasy mess, I can't seem to get it clean with a sponge bath. 

Anyway, I was told that I would need at least a week of cold, soft foods only, so the weekend before last I took some time to prepared a bunch of cold soups I could put in the freezer, and this gazpacho was one of them. Because I was freezing it, I didn't actually add the yogurt when I made it originally. Instead I mixed it in after defrosting. For this reason, my yogurt measurements might be a bit off. 

While mixing the soup, I was originally going to add cilantro, but tasting it as I was making it, I knew that was the wrong choice. I wondered out to the herb garden and decided that the freshness and subtle sweetness of Italian basil was required. 

Fortunately, the basil has been growing like mad this year. We have 6 very large, very full plants, despite making pesto every other weekend. 

Purslane, cucumber, yogurt & avocado gazpacho recipe

Serves 6-7 as a side or starter. Recipe can be halved
  • 4-5 cups of roughly chopped purslane, about 1 large colander full
  • 3 English cucumbers or 8 Persian cucumbers, roughly chopped
  • 4 large avocados, just ripe or slightly underripe, skinned, seeded, and roughly chopped
  • 1 medium lemon
  • 8 medium fresh basil leaves
  • 2 cups of water or unseasoned vegetable stock
  • 1 clove of garlic, sliced
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 5 cups of yogurt

This is the amount of purslane I used. 
Don't worry about the red spots. Purslane bruises red due to oxalic acid.

To blanch or not to blanch the purslane? 

If you aren't sure about the cleanliness of its source, like if a dog may have peed on it, you will want to boil a large pot of water and blanch it for just a minute--no longer. Rinse immediately under cold water to stop the cooking process.  If you like, you can boil the blanching water for 5 minutes, then cool, and use in the recipe in place of vegetable stock. DON'T eat any wild plant that could have a chance of chemical contamination. Since I am very much in control of the source, I opted to use the purslane raw. 
  1. Being careful not to include any white pith, skin the outer lemon rind and add to a blender or food processor. You may also choose to zest the lemon if you prefer. 
  2. Cut the lemon in half and juice, careful to not get any seeds in the juice. Add the juice to the food processor/blender.
  3. Working in batches if needed, add all remaining  ingredients, except for yogurt, salt and pepper, to a food processor or blender and pulse, then puree, and finally liquify your gazpacho.
  4. Check your consistency. If it is too thick for your liking add a little more water or stock.
  5. Check your flavor and add salt and pepper, if needed. 
  6. Chill for at least 4 hours before serving.
  7. Stir in Greek yogurt right before serving, and enjoy!

Consider these toppings, to serve:
  • Diced cucumbers or pickles
  • Cooked shrimp
  • Fresh basil and/or mint, sliced into ribbons. 
  • Croutons or serve with fresh bread
  • Ribbons of nori
  • Sliced almonds
As always, purslane contains a large amount of oxalic acid and should not be consumed more than 1-2 servings every 3-4 days, or by anyone with kidney or liver issues. 

No comments:

Post a Comment