Thursday, March 10, 2016

Foraged Chickweed and Mushroom Omelette



A mushroom omelette is one of my favorite ways to eat chickweed, because the flavor how very well with egg and most cheeses, and a light sauté keeps the freshness and crispness of the chickweed but fixes the textural issues of the hairy stems.

I prefer this dish with wild mushrooms, especially oysters, puffballs or milky caps, but I didn't have any of those so I used your basic white buttons. Half of a package will do for one omelette. I used Swiss cheese here, but goat cheese, asiago, Parmesan, and provolone all work.

It's simple to make, healthy and comes together quickly.

In a large, non-stick pan, over medium heat, heat some butter or olive oil. Add your mushrooms, a generous pinch of salt, and gently toss to coat. Continue to cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally.

When the mushrooms have released their liquid and are about halfway cooked, is when I start the eggs. In a smaller non-stick pan, I heat some olive oil over medium heat. I lightly scramble 2 eggs in a bowl and pour into the pan, rolling to coat the bottom of the pan. Doing the eggs separately like this makes it easier to assemble at the end, and I can use only 2 eggs, as opposed to 3.



When the eggs are nearly cooked through, flip them over and add the cheese, I used a slice and a half here. Your mushrooms should be pretty close to done as well, so add some more oil or butter and brown them a bit.



Just as your eggs are fully cooked, your cheese is melted and your mushrooms are browned, add a couple of generous handfuls of chickweed to the mushroom pan, some more salt and fresh black pepper, and toss through. You want to just wilt the chickweed, and not overcook.





Then pile the mushrooms and chickweed on the melted cheese and fold the eggs over. Garnish with more chickweed and serve right away.



SaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment